USA Wrestling Regionals, kicking off this weekend, to serve as qualifiers for 16U & Junior Nationals as well as Kids Nationals
by Taylor Miller-Gregorio, USA Wrestling
The freestyle and Greco-Roman seasons are in full swing, starting this weekend as USA Wrestling kicks off its Regionals series in Centralia, Wash., March 25-27, at the Northwest Regional!
There are seven Regional events slated between March and June with bids to the 2022 16U and Junior National Championships on the line. Six of the seven events will serve as qualifiers for the 2022 Kids Nationals in Farmington, Utah.
Regionals are open to all athletes, regardless of where they live.
Click on the links below for more information on each Regional:
In order to qualify for 16U and Junior Nationals (Fargo), athletes must place in the top-six at a Regional in the same age division and style at which they plan to compete. Wrestlers wishing to participate in this event MUST follow state procedures. Contact your USA Wrestling State Director for information on qualification procedures for your state.
Below are the qualifiers for the USMC 16U and Junior Nationals in Fargo, N.D., July 15-22:
- Current year 1st-6th Place at USA Wrestling Regionals (placement must be in the same age and style)
- Current year 1st-8th Place at U15 Nationals (placement must be in the same style)
- Current year 1st-8th Place at UWW Cadet Nationals (placement must be in the same style)
- Current year 1st-8th Place at UWW Junior Nationals (placement must be in the same style)
- Previous year 1st-8th Place at Junior Nationals (placement must be in the same style)
- Previous year 1st-8th Place at 16U Nationals (placement must be in the same style)
In order to be eligible for Kids Nationals (June 27-28 in Farmington, Utah), one must compete in any Regional or obtain a waiver to compete from his/her state chairperson.
At Kids Nationals, provided a wrestler has qualified for Kids Nationals or been granted a waiver to compete, he/she may not compete lower than the lowest weight weighed in at any Regional, minus one weight class.
Of note this year, the Northeast Regional, set for May 14-15 in Atlantic City, will also be run side-by-side with the Senior Last Chance World Team Trials Qualifier, so it’ll be a great opportunity for today’s youth to compete alongside some of the best Senior athletes in the nation.