Streck, Hunsberger named NCAA DII Men's Wrestler and Rookie of the Year
by National Wrestling Coaches Association
MANHEIM, Pa.- Shawn Streck of Central Oklahoma is the 2023 NCAA Division II Men's Wrestler of the Year and David Hunsberger of Lander is the 2023 NCAA Division II Rookie of the Year, announced Friday by the National Wrestling Coaches Association (NWCA) after a vote of the Division II Coaches.
Streck, the 2023 National Champion at 285 pounds at the 2023 NCAA Division II National Championships, completed a 26-0 unblemished season. The redshirt junior helped Central Oklahoma to the 2023 NCAA Division II team national title, and was also the Super Region 4 champion and the Mid-America Intercollegiate Athletics Association Wrestler of the Year this season.
"Shawn has an amazing work eithic and is an outstanding leader," Central Oklahoma Head Coach Todd Steidley said. "He always leads by example and we are fortunate to have him represent the University of Central Oklahoma."
Streck was voted the Division II Men's Wrestler of the Year from the following list of Super Regional finalists:
- Super Region 1: Eric Bartos, Mercyhurst
- Super Region 2: Logan Hall, Lander
- Super Region 3: Zackary Donathan, Tiffin
- Super Region 4: Shawn Streck, Central Oklahoma
- Super Region 5: Nick Novak, Nebraska-Kearney
- Super Region 6: Josiah Rider, Adams State
Hunsberger, a true-freshman for National Runners-Up Lander, finished fourth at the NCAA Division II National Championships at 165 pounds. The Bearcat closed out his 2023 season with an overall record of 29-5, and was also a Super Region 2 Champion and the Southern Athletic/Conference Carolinas Freshman of the Year.
"We are extremely proud of David, for him to step in as a true freshman and do what he did is phenomenal," Lander Head Coach RC LaHaye said. "We are equally excited about his future as a Bearcat and to see what he can do in the next few years."
The six Super Regional finalists for Rookie of the Year were:
- Super Region 1: Jake Neffenegger, Mercyhurst
- Super Region 2: David Hunsberger, Lander
- Super Region 3: Nate Barrett, Ashland
- Super Region 4: John Gholson, William Jewell
- Super Region 5: Shane Corrigan, UW-Parkside
- Super Region 6: Keegan Gehlhausen, Chadron State
The awards season continues in the coming weeks with the announcement of the NWCA Division II Scholar All-American honorees.