Top News Stories...
USA Wrestling and CPOW are releasing a new set of PSA's to support keeping wrestling in the Olympics, next up Olympic Bronze medalist Clarissa Chun....
Oklahoma State wrestlers Coleman Scott and Jordan Oliver and Coach John Smith discuss the 2013 World Team Trials being held in Stillwater, Okla. June 21-22...
Matguard USA is a leader in skin disease prevention products based in Red Bank, NJ. Its products are used by wrestlers nationwide and numerous leading wrestling programs....
USA Wrestling and CPOW are releasing a new set of PSA's to support keeping wrestling in the Olympics beginning with Actor Mark Ruffalo...
|WRESTLERS OF THE WEEK: Khishignyam by SoCon; Hickman by PSAC; Kokesh, Welch by Big Ten|
Khishignyam Receives Third Consecutive SoCon Wrestler of the Week Award
Spartanburg, S.C. – Ugi Khishignyam has been named the Southern Conference wrestler of the week for the third consecutive week on Thursday for his outstanding performance at the Southern Scuffle.
Khishignyam, a redshirt freshman, becomes the first wrestler in league history to earn the award three straight times. The award originated in the 2000-01 season.
The Mongolia native continued to tear through the competition at the always competitive Southern Scuffle on Jan. 1-2 in Chattanooga, Tenn., posting a 5-1 record en route to taking second place in the 141-pound bracket.
Ugi opened the competition with three consecutive decisions over Zachary Beitz (Penn State), Joey Moon (North Carolina) and Dan King (Cleveland State) before earning a spot in the quarterfinals against 14th-ranked Justin LaValle of Old Dominion.
The Bulldog grappler earned a solid 5-3 sudden victory over his tough competitor to move on to a semifinal matchup against Chris Mecate (Old Dominion). Ugi built an early lead in that match and was able to hold on for the 3-1 decision and advance to the finals
Ugi's run came to an end there, as he fell 3-2 to No. 9 Michael Nevinger of Cornell to take second place in his weight class.
Ranked No. 4 nationally at 141, Khishignyam improved to 24-3 on the season.
The Citadel (1-1, 1-0 SoCon) has now taken four of the last five weekly awards, as heavyweight Odie Delaney was the league's wrestler of the week on Nov. 21.
Bloomsburg's Frank Hickman Named PSAC Wrestler of the Week
BLOOMSBURG — Bloomsburg University wrestler Frank Hickman (Castle Hayne, NC/E.A. Laney) was named the PSAC (Pennsylvania State Athletic Conference) Wrestler of the Week after leading the Huskies to the team title at the Brute Invitational at Lock Haven University on Saturday, Dec. 29.
Hickman won all four of his matches at the Brute tournament to win the 157-pound title. The senior opened the day winning by fall in 5:24 over his opponent from Franklin and Marshall. He followed that up with a win by major decision Aaron Fry of Lock Haven, 14-5, then beat Jaaziah Bethea of George Mason, 11-1 in the semi-finals. In the finals he dispatched Wally Maziarz of Buffalo, 11-2, to claim the title. The win over Maziarz was his second in 11 days over the wrestler from Buffalo. In a dual meet on Dec. 18 Hickman scored a win by technical fall, 22-6.
For the season Hickman, who was also named PSAC Wrestler of the Week on Nov. 26, is ranked 11th nationally by Intermat and has a record of 14-3.
Nebraska’s Kokesh, Northwestern’s Welch Share Big Ten Wrestler of the Week Honors
Husker sophomore, Wildcat senior claim Ken Kraft Midlands Championships titles
Co-Wrestler of the Week
Robert Kokesh, Nebraska
174 – So. – Wagner, S.D. – Wagner
· Won the 174-pound title at the Ken Kraft Midlands Championships
· Pinned Clarion’s Ryan Darch (5:55) in the first round, followed by a 13-1 major decision over Oregon State’s Austin Morehead in Round 2 and a fall against Penn’s Harrison Cook (2:52) in Round 3
· Posted a 15-0 tech fall over CSU Bakersfield’s Bryce Hammond in the quarterfinals before recording a 10-2 major decision over ninth-ranked Lee Munster of Northwestern in the semifinals and an 8-4 decision against 19th-ranked Nate Brown of Lehigh to claim the title
· Currently ranked fifth nationally at 174 pounds
· Earns his first weekly award of the season and the second of his career
· Last Nebraska Wrestler of the Week: Robert Kokesh (Dec. 13, 2011)
Jason Welch, Northwestern
157 – Sr. – Walnut Creek, Calif. – Las Lomas
· Captured his second consecutive 157-pound title at the Ken Kraft Midlands Championships
· Recorded a 14-10 decision over Oklahoma’s Justin Deangelis in Round 1 before posting a 4-0 decision over Stanford’s Kyle Meyer in Round 2 and an 8-0 major decision against 17th-ranked Jake O’Hara of Columbia in the quarterfinals.
· Scored a 9-3 decision against Wisconsin’s Isaac Jordan in the semifinals before taking a 4-0 decision over fourth-ranked Joey Napoli of Lehigh to win his second straight Midlands Championships title
· Currently ranked second nationally at 157 pounds
· Earns the first weekly award of his career
· Last Northwestern Wrestler of the Week: Aaron Jones (Feb. 8, 2011)
2012-13 Big Ten Wrestlers of the Week
Nov. 6 Tony Dallago, Jr., ILL
Nov. 13 Michael McClure, Jr., MSU
Nov. 20 Matt McDonough, Sr., IOWA
Nov. 27 Daryl Thomas, Sr., ILL
Dec. 4 Logan Stieber, So., OSU
Dec. 11 Derek St. John, Jr., IOWA
Dec. 18 Michael McClure, Jr., MSU
Jan. 2 Robert Kokesh, So., NEB and Jason Welch, Sr., NU