Top News Stories...
This week, TheMat.com will move to the USOC platform, with a new look, new functionality, but with the same favorite features....
Shockley will succeed long-time chairman Jim Keen. Sr. as Chairman of the Board....
The Hawkeye senior will battle Virginia Tech's Devin Carter in the NWCA All-Star Classic on Saturday....
Cleveland, Kansas City, Louisville, New York City, Oklahoma City, Pittsburgh, Philadelphia & St. Louis are Div. I finalists. Div. II and III finalists also announced....
|A majority of U.S. World Team wrestlers to compete at the Dave Schultz Memorial International at the U.S. Olympic Training Center in Colorado Springs, Colo., Feb. 3-4|
By Erin Phipps USA Wrestling
A majority of the No. 1 Greco-Roman, freestyle and women wrestlers in the nation will be competing at the upcoming 8th Annual Dave Schultz Memorial International in Colorado Springs, Colo. this weekend.
This year, U.S. athletes will compete against top wrestlers from up to 20 counties in all three styles of wrestling. The tournament will be held at Sports Center I at the U.S. Olympic Training Center (USOTC) in Colorado Springs, Colo., Feb. 3-4.
The field of U.S. competitors is expected to include World and Olympic medalists, potentially giving the U.S. team its most talented team in the tournament's history.
"From an American standpoint, this is the strongest field of athletes since we started the Schultz competition, and we've got a great international response as well," said Director of National Teams Mitch Hull.
Expected to attend are all seven of the 2005 Greco-Roman U.S. World team members which includes:
- Lindsey Durlacher (Colorado Springs, Colo./New York AC) at 55 kg/121 lbs.
- Joe Warren (Colorado Springs, Colo./New York AC) at 60 kg/132 lbs.
- Harry Lester (Akron, Ohio/USOEC/Gator WC) at 66 kg/145.5. lbs.
- T.C. Dantzler (Colorado Springs, Colo./Gator WC) at 74 kg/163 lbs.
- Brad Vering (Colorado Springs, Colo./New York AC) at 84 kg/185 lbs.
- Justin Ruiz (Colorado Springs, Colo./New York AC) at 96 kg/211.5 lbs.
- Dremiel Byers (Colorado Springs, Colo./U.S. Army) at 120 kg/264.5 lbs.
Byers was a 2002 World champion, Ruiz was a 2005 World bronze medalist and Vering was a 2004 Olympian.
All seven of the Greco-Roman World team members recently competed in the 2nd Annual Kit Carson Cup at Fort Carson in Colorado Springs, Colo. The U.S. No. 1 team ended the tournament with a 4-0 record.
Also expected to compete in the tournament are all seven of the 2005 Freestyle World Team members including:
- Sammie Henson (Flintstone, Ga./Sunkist Kids) at 55 kg/121 lbs.
- Michael Lightner (Colorado Springs, Colo./Sunkist Kids) at 60 kg/132 lbs.
- Chris Bono (Gilbert, Iowa/Sunkist Kids) at 66 kg/145.5 lbs.
- Joe Williams (Ames, Iowa/Sunkist Kids) at 74 kg/163 lbs.
- Mo Lawal (Colorado Springs, Colo./Gator WC) at 84/185 lbs.
- Daniel Cormier (Stillwater, Okla./Gator WC) at 96 kg/211.5 lbs.
- Tolly Thompson (Cedar Falls, Iowa/Sunkist Kids) at 120 kg/264.5 lbs.
Hensen was a 1998 World champion and a 2000 Olympic silver medalist. Williams is a two-time World bronze medalist and a 2004 Olympian. Thompson was a 2005 World bronze medalist. Cormier competed in the 2004 Olympic Games.
In attendance will also be a majority of the 2005 U.S. Women's World team, including:
- Jenny Wong (Colorado Springs, Colo./Sunkist Kids) at 48 kg/105.5 lbs.
- Stephanie Murata (Colorado Springs, Colo./Sunkist Kids) at 51 kg/112.25 lbs.
- Tina George (Colorado Springs, Colo./U.S. Army) at 55 kg/121 lbs.
- Sally Roberts (Colorado Springs, Colo./Gator WC) at 59 kg/130 lbs.
- Katie Downing (Colorado Springs, Colo./Sunkist Kids) at 67 kg/147.5 lbs.
George is a two-time World silver medalist. Murata was a 2001 World silver medalist Roberts, Wong and Downing were all past World bronze medalists.
There are expected to be numerous other nationally ranked U.S. competitors in all three styles. As this is an open tournament, the exact number of U.S. athletes who will enter will not be known until registration.
Competing on Friday, Feb. 3 will be the men's Greco-Roman and men's freestyle teams in the 66 kg, 74 kg, 84 kg and 96 kg weight classes.
On Saturday, Feb. 4, the men's Greco-Roman and men's freestyle will be competing in the 55 kg, 60 kg and 120 kg weight classes. The women's team will be competing in the 48 kg, 51 kg, 55 kg, 59 kg, 63 kg, 67 kg and 72 kg weight classes.
Tickets are available at the door
Adult all session ticket - $15
Adult Friday and Saturday - $10 each or $5 per session
Adult Medals and Final Matches (only) - $8
High school students with I.D. and senior citizens 62+ - $5 per day
Youth ages 5 to 14 - $4 per day
Coaches are admitted free with five paid wrestlers