Top News Stories...
This week, TheMat.com will move to the USOC platform, with a new look, new functionality, but with the same favorite features....
Shockley will succeed long-time chairman Jim Keen. Sr. as Chairman of the Board....
The Hawkeye senior will battle Virginia Tech's Devin Carter in the NWCA All-Star Classic on Saturday....
Cleveland, Kansas City, Louisville, New York City, Oklahoma City, Pittsburgh, Philadelphia & St. Louis are Div. I finalists. Div. II and III finalists also announced....
USA Wrestling Junior Olympic Wrestling Committee Report, as accepted by the Board of Directors
JUNIOR OLYMPIC WRESTLING COMMITTEE
Prepared for the 2006 USA Wrestling August Board of Directors' Meeting
During the 2006 National Convention, the National Kids/Cadet Council, National Junior Council, National FILA Junior World/University Council and National Coaches Council passed recommendations that were submitted to the USA Wrestling National Council of State Chairpersons' for approval. The National Council of State Chairpersons' reviewed the recommendations and forwarded them to the USAW Board of Directors for final approval.
The report below is comprised of the recommendations approved and adopted by the USA Wrestling Board of Directors related to USA Wrestling's grass-roots programming. These policies have an effective date of September 1, 2006 unless other wise noted.
I. Recognition of Award Winners.
Kids/Cadet Person of the Year - Robert DeBerry, AZ.
Junior Person of the Year - Chris Curtis, NJ.
Developmental Coach of the Year - Russ Cozart, FL
FILA Junior World/University Leader of the Year - Gordy Morgan, MN
State Chairperson of the Year - Craig Ewing, MO
II. Recommendations Adopted by the National Council of State Chairpersons:
1. Bronze Level Certification: Beginning in the 2007-08 membership year, all coaches must be a minimum of Bronze Level Certified to coach at Junior Regional and National Championships.
2. Heavy Weight Weight Class: Increase the Junior and Cadet Division Heavyweight weight class to 285lbs. (This will coincide with the change made by the National High School Activities Association.)
3. Women's Regional Competitions: That a minimum of three Women's Junior Division Regional Championships be held each year, with USAW Staff to determine dates and locations. These events shall be qualifiers for the Junior Division National Championships as is presently in place.
4. Women's Junior Division Weight Classes: The following new Women's Junior Division Weight Classes are adopted for 95, 102, 109, 116, 124, 132, 139, 146, 153, 165, 190 & 220lbs. (Changing the weight classes will better serve the athletes who are involved in the program. This will provide fairer competition for the athletes in the light and middle weights, while better reflecting the size of the young women who are wrestling.)
5. Women's National Duals Entry Fee: Entry fee for Women's National Duals shall be $375 per team.
6. Revision of Women's Developmental National Duals Policy: Suspend policy that athletes from teams that have competed in previous Women's National's cannot be included on Developmental Teams. Rosters for these developmental teams must be submitted at the time stipulated in the event regulations.
7. Men's FILA Junior World Division and University Weight Class Revision: That three additional weight classes be added to both the Men's FILA Junior World Division and the Men's University Division. The purpose is to allow athletes to make the transition from the NCAA weight classes to the international weight classes. Champion from the non-FILA weights would qualify for the University and Senior World Team Trials as applicable.
Proposed new weight classes are in BOLD:
FILA Junior World: 50kg, 55kg, 60kg, 63kg, 66kg, 70kg, 74kg, 79kg, 84kg, 96kg, 120kg.
University Div.: 55kg, 60kg, 63kg, 66kg, 70kg, 74kg, 79kg, 84kg, 96kg, 120kgs.
(1kg = 2.2146lbs.)
8. Kid's Division Rules Modification: Allow the Three-quarter Nelson for USAW Folkstyle Events.
9. Cadet Division Separation Procedures Modification to Level #2: Cadet - Level 2: Top three finishers from current year or previous year Cadet Division out of style, Top three finishers in style from last year Kids FS/GR National Championship Schoolboy/Girl Division which are eligible for Cadets.
10. Proposed Policy Regarding Coaches: Any person holding a coach's membership card and who is knowingly and intentionally involved in entering a competitor in an age category he or she is not eligible for, may be suspended from USA Wrestling Regional and National competitions for up to one year and ten days from the date of the event the competitor was entered or attempting to enter.
11. Sports Science Committee Review of Injuries and use of Mouth Guards: That the Sports Science Committee looks into the increases in age group concussions and investigates if the reason is the new rules. The Sports Science Committee should also investigate if the use of mouth guards will achieve a lower cost and effective solution to the occurrence of concussions.
12. DVD Educational Materials: That a DVD on GR/FS strategy, technique and compatibility with Folkstyle be created and distributed to State Associations.
13. Age Group Team Leader Form and Selection Criteria: Approved Team Leader Selection Criteria and Form.
14. National Duals Policy Recommendation.
a. Seeded Teams: If two teams from the same state are both seeded, and due to the seeds they are placed in the same pool, the Team Leader with the two seeded teams may opt to withdraw the lowest seed. This option must be indicated on the entry form prior to the event.
b. For the Consolation Bracket: The teams shall be placed in the consolation bracket in this order beginning from the top: A3, D6, B4, C5, D3, A6, C4, B5, B3, C6, A4, D5, C3, B6, D4, A5.
c. Misconduct: All matters of misconduct pertaining to coaches, team personnel, athletes, etc shall be addressed and administered per the rules stipulated in the National Federation of State High School Association Wrestling Rules. (The use of the yellow and red cards shall be suspended.)
d. Team Rosters: In all cases, the actual weigh-in of athletes shall establish the weight class of each wrestler competing in the National Duals and shall supersede any listed weight class previous submitted.
e. Team Roster Change Fee: Any addition of a/an athlete(s) to the team roster during weigh-ins are subject to a $100 late fee per athlete added.
f. Each team must designate its coaches and Team Leaders on the entry form prior to the event.
g. Protest: Any protest of an individual match must be announced to the Mat Chairman and resolved prior to the next individual bout of that dual.
h. Developmental Teams: Development teams shall be designated as Development #1, Development #2, etc.
i. Developmental Team may compete in the Preliminary Pools and in the Consolation Bracket only, and can only place in the Consolation Bracket.
15. Two Piece Singlet: That the use of a two piece singlet not be allowed at any USAW Regional or National Championships.
16. Protest Procedures: That for any bout, a protest maybe filed regarding any one period, but shall not affect the outcome of other periods. In the case a protest is upheld, that period shall be re-wrestled and the results of the entire bout shall be determined by the correct periods and the re-wrestled periods.
18. Junior and Cadet National Championships Schedule: The 2006 Junior Division and Cadet Division National Championships will be held in Fargo, North Dakota over a 6 day period. A new schedule will be forwarded to all appropriate parties.
19. National Council of State Chairperson's Chairperson: Archie Randall (OK) was elected to a two year term as Chairperson of the National Council of State Chairperson.