For the standard USA Wrestling age and weight categories, double-elimination line-bracketing with complete wrestle-backs to sixth (6th) place, including True 2nd Place matches if 2nd Place and 3rd Place have not already wrestled in the tournament.
Weight classes with five (5) wrestlers or fewer will wrestle a Round Robin format.
For the True Beginner divisions, wrestlers will be grouped into 4-man round robins with wrestlers similar in weight. Each wrestler will have three (3) matches (this may vary depending on participation levels).
All athletes will be separated by club, in addition to the following levels of separation:
Level 1: Previous year's ASICS USAW Folkstyle Nationals Place Winner in same age group or younger age group.
Level 2: Previous year's Folkstyle Tour of America Place Winner in age same age group.
Level 3: Previous year's Folkstyle Tour of America Place Winner in younger age group.
National Federation of State High School Association scoring rules with USA Wrestling modifications will govern the competition. These USA Wrestling modifications include the following:
- Headgear is MANDATORY for all competitors
- Mouth guards are not required for wrestlers (even wrestlers with braces)
- Rest time in between matches is a minimum of 15 minutes
- A match can be started when a wrestler does not have a coach
- The three-quarter nelson with leg hook IS legal in USAW Folkstyle Events
- The double arm bar with sit out is illegal
USA Wrestling rules governing ages, weights and match time will take precedence where applicable.