Top News Stories...
Watch University Nationals and FILA Cadets LIVE on Flowrestling's FLO PRO premium service...
Jim Scherr of the USA (pictured) is joined by FILA President Nenad Lalovic, Carol Huynh, Daniel Igali and Lise LeGrand as presenters at key May 29 meeting in St. Petersburg, Russia....
The remaining national tournaments on the USA Wrestling schedule will use the new FILA rules. Regionals will be able to decide which rules to use in their region....
Watch University Nationals and FILA Cadet Nationals live on Flowrestling's Flo Pro premium service May 24-26...
|Memorial service for wrestling legend Bill Farrell set for Centre Island, N.Y. on July 22
The Farrell family and Nick Gallo of TW Promotions have announced that a memorial service has been organized for the late Bill Farrell, the wrestling legend who passed away on June 9 at the age of 82.
The service will be held on Sunday, July 22 from 2:00-5:00 p.m. at the Seawanhaka Corinthian Yacht Club in Bill’s hometown community of Centre Island, N.Y. Dress for the service is business casual.
The wrestling community is asked to share this information with the many people who were impacted by Bill’s life of service and leadership within wrestling and who would want to be there to honor their friend.
Those who are unable to attend in person but would still like to be part of the celebration are encouraged to send telegrams or emails regarding their thoughts and feelings about Bill and their relationship with him. These will be posted and read at the memorial. Please send these remembrances to ASICSNICK@aol.com.
Among many other things, Bill Farrell was the head coach of the famous 1972 U.S. Olympic freestyle wrestling team, which included Olympic champions Dan Gable, Wayne Wells and Ben Peterson. He was an athlete, coach and administrator for the New York Athletic Club, one of the greatest wrestling clubs in the entire world. He was also the top wrestling executive for ASICS America, helping build and expand its wrestling business to become the leading company for wrestling shoes and products in the world.
Bill Farrell Obituary
For cars and small trucks only:
Directions to Seawanhaka Corinthian Yacht Club
314 Yacht Club Rd.
Oyster Bay, NY 11771
Phone: (516) 922-6200
• Travel Long Island Expressway to Exit 41N (106/107 North) OR the Northern State Parkway to Exit 35N (106/107 North)
• Take right fork to Route 106 North/Oyster Bay.
• Continue North through 6 traffic lights (including Northern Blvd.) make left onto Lexington Avenue at the Hess Gas Station.
• Go to the end of Lexington Ave. and turn left onto West Main Street.
• After second light, veer right under train trestle (12.5ft) (road becomes West Shore Road).
• Proceed around the Bay.
• After Crossing the Bayville Draw Bridge, make first right onto West Harbor Drive.
• Go to end and turn right onto Bayville Avenue.
• Follow road onto Centre Island, proceeding past the Police Booth.
• Approximately one mile past the Booth, turn left onto Yacht Club Road (Green sign on light pole directs you to Seawanhaka Corinthian Yacht Club)
• Clubhouse is up the hill on the right side
• **Please note that the speed limit is 30 MPH on Centre Island
Directions for large trucks via Glen Cove:
• Take the Long Island Expressway to exit 39N if coming from the west of Hicksville (Glen Cove Rd/Rte 107 N) OR take Long Island Expressway to exit 41N if coming from the east of Hicksville (Rt. 106/107)
• Follow either road for several miles to the end (Glen Cove Road becomes Rt. 107).
• Take right onto Brewster Street (road becomes Forest Avenue) and proceed approximately 8 lights (the Nassau Country/Golf Club on your right and the numbered streets are on your left e.g. 3rd 7th).
• Make a left onto Weirs Lane.
• Follow to the end where it becomes Lattingtown Road.
• After joining Lattingtown Road make the second right onto Horse Hollow Road (note sign to Bayville).
• Horse Hollow Road becomes Bayville Avenue
• Continue through village, past restaurants, residential areas, and beaches. When you get to the last beach you will see the Centre Island Police Booth on your right.
• Continue past the police booth.